Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Story of Big Chimneys
1699 - 1914
Big Chimneys' central location was a day's horseback ride from regional river crossings and early settlements. When the Church of England established a church to serve early residents the 1730's, it did so a few hundred yards east of Big Chimneys, the site on which the Falls Church still stands. The village which later grew up around this well-situated crossroads is today the City of Falls Church.
The original cabin was made of logs in the Scotch-Irish style, with a back door directly opposite the front door to allow cows to be brought in through the front for milking and then taken out back. The cabin was built near the intersection of early footpaths which became busy roads during the colonial era. The cabin, newly expanded, became an
Big Chimneys was torn down by 1914.
Just beyond this sign is the footprint of the cabin, recreated to scale by the Boy Scouts America Troop 681 for the 1999 Tricentennial.
The only known photograph of Big Chimneys taken around the turn of the century
Erected by City of Falls Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1699.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 52.964′ N, 77° 10.464′ W. Marker was in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker could be reached from West Annandale Road east of Gundry Drive, on the right when traveling east. Located in Big Chimneys Park, City of Falls Church, opposite garage entrance to Harris Teeter grocery store and apartment complex. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 210 Gibson Street, Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named The Story of Big Chimneys (here, next to this marker); Big Chimneys (a few steps from this marker); Virginia Training School Rolling Roads (about 700 feet away); Home of Mary Ellen Meriwether (Miss Nellie) and Dr. Edwin B. Henderson (EB) (about 700 feet away); Sears Kit Home (about 700 feet away); Colored Citizens Protective League (about 700 feet away); Dr. Edwin Bancroft Henderson (1883-1977) (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. New Marker At This Location also titled "The Story of Big Chimneys".
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,194 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on February 13, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 9, 2022, by Ronald D Anzalone of Falls Church, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.