Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Farmer's Feed and Seed Company
The Birthplace of Pilgrim's Pride Corporation
— Pilgrim's Pride 50th Anniversary 1946 - 1996 —
This site marks the birthplace of Pilgrim's Pride and the beginning of the modern chicken industry in Northeast Texas. On October 2, 1946 Aubrey E. Pilgrim acquired Farmer's Feed and Seed Company and was joined as a partner soon thereafter by his brother, Lonnie "Bo” Pilgrim.
The first chickens were sold from a small pen located in back of this building. From these modest beginnings as a farm supply store, the company has grown into one of the largest producers and marketers of chicken in the world.
Through the first fifty years of growth, the "employee partners” of Pilgrim's Pride have made it one of the leaders in its industry, both in the United States and in Mexico.
By the time of its Golden Anniversary, Pilgrim's Pride had attained annual sales exceeding one billion dollars and was still growing. The success of this company has provided far-reaching economic benefits, to rural America and to the hundreds of businesses that support its existence and are supported by its "partners."
Marked this day by The Camp County Historical Society in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of Pilgrim's Pride
October 2, 1996
Erected 1996 by the Camp County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is October 2, 1946.
Location. 32° 59.784′ N, 94° 58.044′ W. Marker is in Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is on Compress Street north of Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 S Compress Street, Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church of Pittsburg (within shouting distance of this marker); W. L. Garrett Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pittsburg (about 500 feet away); First Carnegie Library in Texas (about 600 feet away); Camp County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Shootout at the Pittsburg Depot (about 700 feet away); Cotton Belt Depot (about 700 feet away); William Harrison Pitts (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2022, by James Q of Mt Pleasant, Texas. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 21, 2022, by James Q of Mt Pleasant, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • An updated close-up photo of the marker with good resolution. • Can you help?