Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingsville in Kleberg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The King Ranch

 
 
The King Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 19, 2022
1. The King Ranch Marker
Inscription.  Richard King (1824-1885), a Rio Grande steamboat captain, bought two Spanish land grants on Santa Gertrudis Creek and founded the legendary King Ranch in 1853. He brought longhorn cattle from Mexico and battled droughts and cattle thieves to build a profitable ranch. Operating first in partnership with G.K. ("Legs") Lewis and later with Mifflin Kenedy and James Walworth, King became sole owner in the late 1860s. During the Civil War (1861-1865), the King Ranch was a way-station for Confederate cotton going to Mexico. Herds carrying King's famous "Running W" brand followed the cattle trails to northern markets in the 1870s.

After King died, his widow Henrietta (Chamberlain) (1832-1925) named as ranch manager Robert Justus Kleberg (1853-1932), who later married her daughter Alice Gertrudis King (1862-1944). The ranch became less isolated in the early 1900s, when the railroad arrived and the town of Kingsville was settled. Constant improvement of herds by King-Kleberg descendants produced a new breed of cattle, the Santa Gertrudis, and fine quarter horses and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
thoroughbreds. Petroleum was discovered on ranch property in the 1930s. Today the King Ranch has grown to almost one million acres in south Texas, plus holdings in other states and nations.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2949.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 27° 31.218′ N, 97° 53.793′ W. Marker is in Kingsville, Texas, in Kleberg County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 141. Marker is located in front of the King Ranch Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2205 TX-141, Kingsville TX 78363, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King Ranch Quarter Horses (here, next to this marker); Mexican Activities at Santa Gertrudis in the 1830's (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kleberg County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Kingsville, U.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas A&M University-Kingsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chamberlain Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Henrietta M. King High School (approx. 1˝ miles away); Dawson Richard Murchison (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsville.
 
Also see . . .
1. King Ranch - The Handbook of Texas Online.
The King Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 19, 2022
2. The King Ranch Marker
Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 23, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 

2. King Ranch Official Website. (Submitted on February 23, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192499

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024