Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Calhoun, Ga, May 18, 1864.
Hood’s Corps marched by a road 1 mile E.; Polk’s & Hardee’s on direct road to Calhoun -- Polk continued to Adairsville.
Hardee’s Corps shifted to the S.W. where on the banks of Oothcaloga Creek, Bate’s, Walker’s & Cleburne’s divisions in a rear guard action, delayed the advance of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [US] for 24 hours to secure the passage of the wagon trains.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-16.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 30.218′ N, 84° 57.075′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of North Wall Street (U.S. 41) and Harlan Street, on the right when traveling south on North Wall Street. The marker is in front of the Calhoun Post Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gordon County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calhoun Depot (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The Calhoun Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roland Hayes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnston's Rear Guard Stops McPherson (approx. one mile away); Calhoun War Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Sequoyah (approx. 2 miles away); Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,281 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.