Alice in Jim Wells County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By the late 1880s, Frederic B. Nayer lived in this area, then part of Nueces County. The Collins community had about 2,000 residents by 1891, but the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad Co. built through the area three miles west of the town to intersect the Texas Mexican Railway. Nayer helped sell lots at the rail intersection for the new townsite that would become Alice, and in 1903, he donated the land for the city burial ground, initially called Alice Fraternal Cemetery.
In 1925, the Alice Cemetery Association formed and the name of the burial ground changed. Martha Fawcus served as the association’s first president. Under her leadership in 1952, members planted 100 oak trees that more than 50 years later remained a defining feature of the site.
Individuals buried at the cemetery include prominent citizens of Alice’s past, military veterans, Texas Rangers and generations of community residents.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13543.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 27° 44.305′ N, 98° 4.648′ W. Marker is in Alice, Texas, in Jim Wells County. Marker is on Martin Luther King Road, 0.1 miles south of Encinal Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alice TX 78332, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jim Wells County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jose de Escandon (approx. 0.8 miles away); McGill Brothers Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Alice (approx. 0.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Alice (approx. one mile away); First Baptist Church of Alice (approx. one mile away); Jim Wells County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alice.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 14, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.