Fairport Harbor in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fairport Harbor Lighthouse
Lighthouse and keeper's dwelling, erected in 1871 to replace the 1825 structures designed by Jonathan Goldsmith. From the time it guided early settlers into the Western Reserve until it was decommissioned in 1925, this station served Great Lakes shipping for its most important 100 years. The present, well-proportioned tower, constructed of Berea sandstone, is an outstanding engineering achievement.
Erected 1971 by The Fairport Harbor Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 41° 45.415′ N, 81° 16.64′ W. Marker is in Fairport Harbor, Ohio, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and High Street, on the right when traveling west on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Painesville OH 44077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Fairport is an Excellent Harbor (here, next to this marker); La Salle Expedition (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Station (approx. 2.4 miles away); Painesville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Freedom Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); They Served (approx. 2.8 miles away); United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 2.8 miles away); Painesville City Hall (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairport Harbor.
Also see . . . Fairport Harbor Marine Museum and Lighthouse. Museum website homepage (Submitted on May 26, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.