Stuart in Martin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Martin County Court House
The Peter Montague & Lord Baltimore
Chapters of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century mark this Martin County Court House to commemorate the historical significance of this site to Martin County, Florida and its people. Built in 1908, served as County Court House 1923-1999.
Erected by Peter Montague & Lord Baltimore Chapters, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Law Enforcement. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 27° 11.841′ N, 80° 15.05′ W. Marker is in Stuart, Florida, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of SE Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A) and SE Denver Avenue, on the right when traveling east on SE Ocean Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 SE Ocean Blvd, Stuart FL 34994, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerMartin County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Lyric Theatre (approx. Ό mile away); Passengers, Pay Phones and a Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Great Place for a Vacation (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Stuart Water Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hello Girls! (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Stuart is burning down!" (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Healing Sanitarium (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stuart.
Also see . . . Old Martin County Courthouse (PDF). National Register of Historic Places nomination and photographs submitted for the 1937 Art Deco addition, built by the Works Progress Administration, to the original 1908 courthouse. The older portion, originally a Palm Beach County schoolhouse that was converted into a courthouse when Martin County was created, was demolished after a new courthouse opened in 1989. (Submitted on March 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.