La Porte City in Black Hawk County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Rural Iowa Heritage Center
This center once housed Iowa’s first FFA Ag Museum. It now has been restored to showcase its original purpose, which was La Porte City’s fire station and jailhouse. An 1861 log cabin from the region also has been moved to the site. Together, these historical structures are dedicated to celebrating life in the 1800s in rural Iowa.
Founded in 1855 La Porte City became a bustling rural hub surrounded by a thriving agricultural region. The region’s earliest citizens laid a foundation of perseverance, community spirit and leadership that continue today.
Our mission is to encourage an appreciation and interest in the history, art, and culture of our community and state.
Erected by FFA Historical & Ag Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 42° 18.829′ N, 92° 11.502′ W. Marker is in La Porte City, Iowa, in Black Hawk County. Marker is on Chestnut Street just north of 1st Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 Chestnut Street, La Porte City IA 50651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Jesse Wasson Society (here, next to this marker); The Pioneer Spirit (a few steps from this marker); Chestnut Firestation (a few steps from this marker); City Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweet Corn Day Festival (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. La Porte City, Iowa.
La Porte City was platted in 1855. It is named after La Porte, Indiana, the former home of one of its founders.(Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Historical Narrative of La Porte City, Iowa.
The first plat of the town was made by Wesley Whipple on June 5th, 1855, the original proprietors being Dr. Jesse Wasson, Junia Wasson, Joel W Catlin and Rosella Catlin. The plat was filed for record July 16th, 1855. The first sawmill was put up on Big Creek in 1856 by Dr. Wasson. The first grist mill was constructed about the same time by Lewis Turner but the mill was destroyed by fire and was not replaced until the end of the Civil War. George Banger Sr. located here in 1856 and engaged in the boot and shoe business. He was a(Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. La Porte City FFA Historical and Ag Museum.
The La Porte City FFA Historical and Ag Museum, recognized as the first museum of its kind in Iowa, preserves and interprets the history of rural Iowa communities and offers opportunities for audiences to connect with local history and the state's agricultural heritage. The museum keeps the legacy of rural Iowa communities alive and accessible to the public through exhibits, programs, and research.(Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.