Belton in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Bell County Jail
In 1874, vigilantes from all parts of Texas raided this jail and executed nine men charged with murder, robbery, horse theft and other crimes. This citizens' attack was regarded as a major factor in ending lawlessness in Bell County during the 1870's.
Building was rented to city of Belton in 1884 when third county jail was completed. Sold later.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1336.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 31° 3.475′ N, 97° 27.872′ W. Marker is in Belton, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on North Pearl Street south of West 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 N Pearl, Belton TX 76513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Sam Houston Speech (about 400 feet away, measured William Whitaker Reed (about 400 feet away); The Carnegie Library Building (about 400 feet away); Woman's Wednesday Club (about 400 feet away); Bell County Confederate Memorial (about 700 feet away); Bell County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Bell County Courthouses (about 800 feet away); Belton Woman's Commonwealth (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2022, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2022, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.