Empire in Stanislaus County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1 mile south of this spot is the site of Empire City. Founded 1850 by John G. Marvin . Head of navigation on the Tuolumne River, military supply depot and 2nd county seat of Stanislaus County. Destroyed by flood in 1861 – 62.
Estanislao Chapter No. 58
E. Clampus Vitus
Erected 1961 by Estanislao Chapter No. 58, E. Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 418.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmark, and the E Clampus Vitus series lists.
Location. 37° 38.239′ N, 120° 54.167′ W. Marker is in Empire, California, in Stanislaus County. Marker is on Sante Fe Avenue near Yosemite Boulevard (California Route 132), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Empire CA 95319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Empire City Ceres War Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ceres Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 4.3 miles away); Andrew McGinnes (approx. 4.4 miles away); Silent City (approx. 4.4 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic (approx. 4.4 miles away); Modesto Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); The McHenry Mansion (approx. 5 miles away).
Regarding Empire City. Empire City was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 418 on February 29, 1949.
Empire City served as the county seat from October 1854 to December 1855.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,813 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.