Mansfield in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ralph Sandiford Man
Man and Feild moved to Fort Worth around 1854. They, along with David Mauch, built a water powered mill around 1856, the first mill in Fort Worth, near the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River. The water mill ground corn and wheat, but eventually a drought caused the business to close.
Man and Feild then moved to the Walnut Creek community, now known as Mansfield, where they found the ruins of a horse-powered mill owned by Charley Turner. The mill and its house were the only structures in the town at that time. In 1859, they built a new 3-story brick, wheat and corn mill powered by a small spring nearby. The mill opened in 1860 and is believed to be the first steam-powered
After finding financial success, Man married Julia Alice Boisseau on December 30, 1863. She was the younger sister of Henrietta Boisseau Feild, wife of Julian Feild. Julia passed away in August 1868 at the age of 25. In 1870, Man married Sarah Jane Stephens, who died ten years later. Man had two children with Julia and four with Sarah.
While Julian Feild eventually left Mansfield, Man lived the rest of his life in the community that was named for him. His membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church inspired him to give the church three acres of his land for use as a cemetery. He lived his life as a quiet, well-respected community member and business owner. Ralph Man died November 18, 1906. He is buried in the Cumberland Presbyterian section of the Mansfield cemetery.
Lower Left: Man and Feild Mill;
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Upper Right: Ralph S. Man
Erected 2020 by Man House Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1868.
Location. 32° 33.854′ N, 97° 8.903′ W. Marker is in Mansfield, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 West Broad Street, Mansfield TX 76063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of the Man House (a few steps from this marker); Ralph Man Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Man's Barn and Land (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mansfeild Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); John C. Collier Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nugent-Hart House (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Jude Catholic Church (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mansfield.
More about this marker. There is no entry fee required to visit the Man House Museum and grounds.
Also see . . . Man, Ralph Sandiford (1825–1906). Texas State Historical Association - Handbook of Texas (Submitted on April 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.