Nazareth in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Backwoods of Pennsylvania
"After three days march from Germantown, the company of seven brethren, two sisters, and two boys, might have been found seated under a large forest tree, singing songs of praise and prayer to their Lord and Savior."
1888, describing the Moravians' arrival in Nazareth in 1740
Tracing their roots to 1457, the Moravians are considered to be the oldest Protestant church in the world. In 1735, a group of Moravians headed to Savannah, Georgia to serve as Christian missionaries to American Indians and other area settlers. Insurmountable difficulties disheartened many of them and most returned to Europe in 1740. The nine remaining sailed to Philadelphia with English evangelist George Whitefield, who proposed that the Moravians construct a "school and orphanage for negro children" on his 5,000 acre property, called Nazareth. Their agreement marked the beginning of Moravian activity in this part of Pennsylvania.
You are standing in the Ephrata Tract, the heart of the original 5,000 acres. Moravian settlers arrived here on May 30, 1740, spending the first nights under a large oak
[Illustration captions, left and right, read]
An undated lithograph of the First House (left) and the Whitefield House (right) by an unknown artist.
This 1758 map identifies the 5,000 acres that the Moravians purchased in 1741 from George Whitefield. Whitefield had obtained the tract, which he called Nazareth, from William Allen.
Inset: Whitefield House detail
Erected by Moravian Historical Society, Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor, and PA Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 40° 44.525′ N, 75° 18.425′ W. Marker is in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Center Street (Pennsylvania Route 191) east of Whitefield Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 East Center Street, Nazareth PA 18064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the First House of Nazareth (a few steps from this marker); Whitefield House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Whitefield House (a few steps from this marker); Starting, Stopping, and Starting Again! (within shouting distance of this marker); Walter L. and Margaret M. Peters (within shouting distance of this marker); Nazareth (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Whitefield House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Kraemer-Beck Mansion (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nazareth.
Also see . . . Moravian Historical Society. (Submitted on April 6, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.