West Baden Springs in Orange County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Ignatius Cemetery
Several of the Jesuits who studied at the West Baden Monastery are buried here. Mr. Sinclair constructed two churches on the property, one Methodist and one Catholic, on each side of the cemetery located on the hill overlooking the brick street.
The cemetery was established soon after the Jesuits began West Baden College in 1934. Thirty-nine priests, seminarians and brothers who died during their tenure are buried here.
When the Jesuits left the hotel to move to Chicago, they made arrangements with Our Lady of the Springs Catholic Church in French Lick to care for the Catholic cemetery on the hotel grounds.
Erected by French Lick Resort Historical Walking Tour. (Marker Number 15.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1934.
Location. 38° 33.89′ N, 86° 37.127′ W. Marker is in West Baden Springs, Indiana, in Orange County. Marker is on County Road 25N, 0.1 miles south of West Baden Avenue, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Baden Springs IN 47469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sprudel: Spring No. 7 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Springs (about 500 feet away); U.S. Army Hospital (about 500 feet away); Seal Fountain (about 500 feet away); Sunken Garden (about 500 feet away); Apollo: Spring No. 3 (about 500 feet away); Joe Louis Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Golf Courses (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Baden Springs.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. West Baden Springs Hotel
Also see . . .
1. West Baden Springs Hotel History.
Edward Ballard managed the West Baden Springs Hotel throughout the Roaring Twenties, but the Stock Market Crash of 1929 thoroughly undermined the resort’s financial prospects. Struggling to keep the destination afloat during the early years of the Great Depression, he closed West Baden Springs Hotel in 1932. When no new suitors appeared to buy the hotel, he decided to donate the entire facility to a Jesuit organization called the “Society of Jesus.” The Jesuits used West Baden Springs Hotel as a seminary for many years, before ownership changed hands and a private university called Northwood Institute(Submitted on April 9, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Eighth Wonder of the World.
The Jesuits removed many of property’s elegant appointments and eventually dismantled the building's four Moorish towers. The seminary, known as West Baden College, operated until 1964 when declining enrollment led the Jesuits to close the facility. While the colleges did not maintain the West Baden property in the same lavish style of the hotel in its prime, it was relatively well cared for until 1985 when Northwood sold it to a real estate development firm.(Submitted on April 9, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.