Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Log Meeting House
This log house was donated (2006) to the Sandusky County Agricultural Society by Carol Bender of rural Fremont.
This house was last refurbished in 1984 by Mrs. Bender's son Jeff. It stood on the Guyan Fenstermaker farm on Tiffin road, Ballville township, about 1,000 Ft. north of the Seneca / Sandusky county line.
Mrs. Bender's mother, Alice (Myers) Fenstermaker, lived in this house when she was a little girl. Mrs. Fenstermaker's parents were Mary (Ensminger), and Clarence Myers.
Mrs. Fenstermaker had told her grandson, Jeff, the house was built during the time of the Civil War. (The property where it stood was first deeded in 1835. In fact, an Indian mission stood just north of this place.)
Of common dimensions, this 1 2 story house was 24 Ft by 18 Ft. Here at the Fairgrounds in was made seven feet longer. This building will now serve as a School and Meeting house.
The following is a list of those volunteers responsible for this restoration:
Brent Binkley, Nick Bower, Casey Conley, Rich Farmer, Denver Floriana (Fairboard Director of Log Cabin Compound),
The following is a list of contributors of equipment and/ or materials:
Nelson Baughman, Rick Clabaugh from Sandusky County Parks District, Casey Conley, Country Metals - Shiloh, Ohio (Roof), Jim Dennis Construction, Grounds Electricians, Jeff Floriana, Greg Gabel sawmill, Gordon Lumber-Fremont (donation of belltower shingles), Joe Higgins sawmill-Carey Ohio, Home Sand and Supply Co., Chris Kiser (Bucket/ Boom trucks), LOWES, Northcoast Masonary supply, Schade's builders supply, Clyde Shammo, Swint-Reineck Hardware. Inc., Williams and Son Masonary.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1984.
Location. 41° 21.509′ N, 83° 7.076′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker can be reached from Rawson Avenue north of Haynes Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1002 Rawson Ave, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Log Meeting House (here, next to this marker); Log Smoke House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandusky County Fairgrounds (within shouting distance of this marker); Smoky The Clown (within shouting distance of this marker); Brady's Island (approx. half a mile away); Sandusky County Korea & Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Paul's Church (approx. ¾ mile away); United States Of America Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.