Krum in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Krum
Located in west-central Denton County, the city of Krum began as a pioneer settlement, known as the Jackson community, near present-day Krum Jackson Cemetery in 1876. Soon, the families decided to establish a school. Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Barrett and C.H. Jackson deeded land for the school and a cemetery.
The town of Krum was founded in 1886 when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway purchased acreage from Louis L. and Gabrilla Finley for the town site, named in honor of Charles K. Krum, a railroad official. Businesses quickly opened and a home for the station agent was built in town. The post office was established in 1888 and was first housed in the Finley store with S.D. Chadwell serving as the first postmaster until Mr. Finley took over later that year. A hardware store, blacksmith shop, saloon, drug store and a hotel opened to serve the growing town.
To serve the community's spiritual needs, the First Baptist Church organized in 1882 in the Jackson schoolhouse, and in 1891 the Methodist church moved from the Jackson community to Krum. The Church of Christ of Krum was established in 1893 and the Presbyterian
The rich soil in the region produced bountiful wheat harvests for which the town became famous, known as the largest inland grain market in the early 1900s. Wheat grown in the area earned awards, including the grand prize for the "Rainbow Flour" at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. Agricultural production plants and factories were established to process goods, and banks opened to assist families and businesses in the area. Krum was officially incorporated in 1955 and continues to focus on the growth of this rural town while preserving its rich historical heritage.
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18834.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 33° 15.559′ N, 97° 13.811′ W. Marker is in Krum, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on East McCart Street. The marker is located near the entrance of Krum Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 East McCart Street, Krum TX 76249, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Agricultural Experiment Station No. 6 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); County Line Road Bridge at Denton CreekFirst Baptist Church of Denton (approx. 5.2 miles away); Gregg Ranch (approx. 5.3 miles away); First Christian Church of Denton (approx. 5˝ miles away); Plainview Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); North Texas State Fair and Rodeo (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Krum.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.