Milton in Halton Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Halton County Court House
of land donated by
Erected by Milton Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 43° 30.624′ N, 79° 53.03′ W. Marker is in Milton, Ontario, in Halton Region. Marker is on Brown Street just west of King Street, on the right when traveling west. Brown Street is pedestrian-only. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43 Brown St, Milton ON L9T L9T, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Milton Town Hall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Acton Town Hall (approx. 18.5 kilometers away); The Founding of Burlington (approx. 21.6 kilometers away); Peel County Court House / Le Palais De Justice Du Comté de Peel (approx. 21.9 kilometers away); Reverend Thomas Greene at St. Luke’s, Wellington Square (approx. 22.1 kilometers away); The Old Fire Hall (approx. 22.1 kilometers away); The Brant House (approx. 22.4 kilometers away).
Regarding Halton County Court House. Excerpt from the site's historic designation under the Ontario Heritage Act:
The former Halton County Courthouse and Jail property at 43 Brown Street is an example of elaborate Baronial Gothic Architecture. The castellated design is one of only three examples of this particular mode in the Province of Ontario.
Designed by the firm of Clark and Murray, and built between 1854 and 1855 by Michael Kenney, the building served as the first Seat of Government for the County of Halton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.