Hopewell, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The structure before you was one of three taverns which existed in City Point at the time of the Civil War. It was probably constructed in the eighteenth century. On June 15, 1864 the United States Christian Commission established its offices in this building. In front of the tavern facing the street, the Christian Commission erected a chapel and storehouse. These three buildings comprised the agency's headquarters.
The Christian Commission was an interdenominational organization devoted to fostering religion and morality in the Union army. Its duties included the distribution of non-military supplies to the troops, the operation of special diet kitchens at the hospitals and visits with sick and wounded patients. The Christian Commission had relief stations within each army corps and at Bermuda Hundred, Point of Rocks, the Depot Field Hospital and the dismounted cavalry camp at Bailey's Creek.
The tavern pictured here was located behind you, diagonally across the street. This building served as the headquarters of Captain E.E. Camp who was in charge of Camp and Garrison Equipage including items such as tents, shovels,
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 37° 18.897′ N, 77° 16.465′ W. Marker was in Hopewell, Virginia. Marker was at the intersection of Prince Henry Avenue and Maplewood Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Prince Henry Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Housing Several Thousand Federal Troops (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Taverns (here, next to this marker); Women At City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); One Soldier, One Family, One War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Point's Wiseman Family (about 400 feet away); Historic City Point (about 400 feet away); Dr. Peter Eppes House (about 500 feet away); Quartermaster Repair Shops (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopewell.
More about this marker. On the upper left is a photo of "E.E. Camp's headquarters draped in black because of Lincoln's assassination."
On the upper center is a photo of the "The Bank of City Point (now apartments) was built in 1915 on the site of the unidentified tavern."
On the upper right is a photo of wartime structure with the caption, "This building (left) stood on the west side of Prince Henry between Maplewood and Bank Streets. Very similar in appearance to the City Point House, this structure may have once been a tavern. Its use by the Army is not known. However, most of the buildings were taken over as offices for the Commissary Department or the provost marshal."
On the lower right is a photo of Camp's HQ with the caption, "Soldiers & Civilians pose in front of Camp's headquarters."
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,208 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 6. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.