Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Builder Of This House
General Lafayette Spoke To The People
Of Beaufort From This Portico
March 18, 1825
Erected by Beaufort County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 25.846′ N, 80° 40.265′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Bay Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Bay Street, Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Capt. Francis Saltus House (a few steps from this marker); The Sam Levin Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaufort South Carolina Tricentennial (about 300 feet away, measured Christensen-Fordham Building (about 300 feet away); Richard V. Woods Memorial Bridge (about 400 feet away); The Wallace House (about 400 feet away); Brigadier General Stephen Elliott CSA (about 500 feet away); Beaufort Female Benevolent Society (about 500 feet away); Beaufort County South Carolina (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
Regarding Verdier House. National Register of Historic Places :
Verdier, John Mark, House ** (added 1971 - Building - #71000746)
♦ Also known as Lafayette Building
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Federal
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1750-1799
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
♦ Current Function: Commerce/Trade
♦ Current Sub-function: Organizational, Professional
Also see . . .
1. The Verdier House, (Submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. John Mark Verdier House. John Mark Verdier House, also known as Lafayette Building, is a building in Beaufort, South Carolina. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. John Mark Verdier House. The John Mark Verdier House has been a Beaufort landmark since the 1790s, when it was built by John Mark Verdier. (Submitted on September 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Historic Beaufort Foundation. The mission of Historic Beaufort Foundation is to support the preservation, protection and presentation of sites and artifacts of historic, architectural and cultural interest throughout Beaufort County, South Carolina. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette (6 September 1757 – 20 May 1834), often known as simply Lafayette, was a French aristocrat and military officer born in Chavaniac, in the province of Auvergne in south central France. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
The house is frame with clapboarding. It has two stories on an elevated stuccoed tabby basement. The roof is hipped. On the front is a double-tiered portico.
The interior, which follows a modified Adams style, has the traditional center hall with drawing room on the right, dining room on the left, and two additional rooms behind. In the hall, an archway frames the staircase. On the landing is a handsome Palladian window. From the landing a divided stairway leads to the second floor where there is a large ballroom with a retired room.
Exceptionally, fine, handcarved mantels featuring allegorical figures, ribbons, fruit, flowers, and sheaves of wheat. The molding and cornices are beautifully decorated.
The house is in good condition, and partially restored.
Historic Beaufort Foundation, for which the house is headquarters, plans to continue restoration already begun: restoration of elaborate plaster molding; scraping and painting of walls, ceilings and mantels in five rooms; exterior painting; replacing of porch banisters and shutters will follow comprehensive restoration plan by Charleston architect Albert Simons. Also planned is restoring of historic garden area, according to Simons plan.
Beaufort landmark since
In the ballroom, Beaufort's first telephone was installed.
The heirs of the builder owned the house until 1940 when it was bought by a committee for the Preservation of the Lafayette Building through public subscriptions. In 1967, this committee founded the Historic Beaufort Foundation, which now owns the house as headquarters, and makes it the focal point of the Historic Beaufort District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
— Submitted July 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,577 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 29, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9, 10. submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.