Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
2269 Market St.
George E. Flaccus was a wholesale food dealer. He opened his business, which specialized in fancy groceries and the manufacture of minced meats on this N.W. corner of Market Street in 1881.
Wheeling's population had grown to 30,000. The City had claimed river supremacy as 50 to 70 boats touched Wheeling's wharves daily. The first telephone in the panhandle was installed in Wheeling and Nail City became a reality as the La Belle Mill recorded production of 180,000 kegs of nails in one year.
What had once been a desolate area of the business district and across the creek, was now a hub of commerce and trade.
Erected by Wheeling Heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 40° 3.52′ N, 80° 43.495′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is on Market Street just north of 23rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2269 Market St, Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Our Lady of Mount Lebanon Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Wheeling High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rebecca Harding Davis (approx. Ό mile away); Gordon Battelle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wheeling Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Steamboat "Washington" (approx. 0.4 miles away); B & O Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Baltimore and Ohio Passenger Station (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.