Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Powder Springs Road
June - July, 1864
July 3. Line evacuated by Confederate forces, withdrawing S. E. across Olley’s Creek to the Nickajack. Federal 14th and 20th A. C. marched from John Ward Road toward Marietta where they joined the 4th, which had moved there via the Dallas rd. from 3.5 mi. W. of the town.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-59.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1853.
Location. 33° 55.065′ N, 84° 35.047′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Powder Springs Road SW (Georgia Route 360) 0.1 miles west of Murray Circle, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cherokee Land Lottery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nesbitt-Union Chapel Ruins (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Dickson House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm - June 22, 1864 (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kolb House (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb’s Farm (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.