New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Roger Morris Park, 1,524 acres
Before Harlem Heights developed into the vibrant community it is today, this site commanded views of lower Manhattan as well as New Jersey and Westchester. With the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, Morris, a Loyalist, left for England. His home, which he called “Mount Morris,” was then occupied successively by George Washington, British Lieutenant General Sir Henry Clinton, and the Hessian commander Baron Wilhelm von Knyphausen. Washington’s use of this house as his temporary headquarters
After the war, the Morris’s property was confiscated and sold by the new American government. It became Calumet Hall, a popular tavern along the Albany Post Road. In 1810 Stephen and Eliza Jumel bought the property. Madame Jumel was from an impoverished Rhode Island family. Her marriage to Stephen Jumel, a wealthy French merchant who had made his fortune in the wine trade, gave her entry to New York’s highest social circles. The Jumels spent several years in France, where they made friends in the elite circle around Napoleon’s court. They returned to the United States in 1828 to settle in the mansion. Inspired by cutting-edge French fashion, Madame Jumel bought new furniture and redecorated her home in the elegant Empire style.
One year after her husband’s death in 1832 from injuries sustained in a carriage accident, Madame Jumel married former Vice President Aaron Burr in the mansion’s front parlor. The marriage was not a success, and the couple formally divorced in 1836. The immensely wealthy Madame Jumel became increasingly eccentric as time passed and lived in the mansion until her death in 1865. The City bought the house from later owners, the Earles, in 1903. With the assistance of the Daughters of the American Revolution, it opened as a public museum
Today, Morris-Jumel Mansion and Roger Morris Park are part of the Jumel Terrace Historic District. The house features nine restored, period rooms including George Washington’s office, a dining room glittering with 19th century ceramics and glass, and Eliza Jumel’s chamber with a bed that she maintained belonged to Napoleon. The third floor houses an archive and reference library. Morris-Jumel Mansion is owned by Parks & Recreation, is a member of the Historic Trust of New York City, and operated by Morris-Jumel Mansion, Inc.
Erected 2005 by City of New York Parks & Recreation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the National Historic Landmarks series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is September 14, 1607.
Location. 40° 50.07′ N, 73° 56.332′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Jumel Terrace and Sylvan Terrace, on the right when traveling north on Jumel Terrace. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 Jumel Terrace, New York NY 10032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Morris-Jumel Mansion (here, Jumel Terrace Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Kingsbridge Road Milestone (within shouting distance of this marker); The John T. Brush Stairway (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polo Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sugar Hill Luminaries Lawn (approx. ¼ mile away); Greg Marius Court (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holcombe Rucker Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . .
1. Morris-Jumel Mansion, Edgecomb Avenue & 160th-162nd Streets, New York, New York County, NY. The Historic American Buildings Survey record for the mansion. (Submitted on September 13, 2015.)
2. The 1765 Morris-Jumel Mansion. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on April 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,315 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 8. submitted on September 13, 2015.