Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort George G. Meade
— United States Army —
In November of that year he was detailed to the Tank Corps and attended the course at the French Tank School. Patton participated in the Battle of Cambrai in December 1917, when tanks were first employed on a large scale. He later organized and directed the American Tank Center at Langers, France, and organized the 304th Brigade of the Tank Corps, which he commanded in the St. Mihiel Offensive. Transferred to the Meuse-Argonne Sector with his brigade, he was wounded on September 26, 1918, the first day of the offensive.
After returning to the United States in March 1919, Patton commanded the 304th Tank Brigade at Camp Meade. The 304th employed newly manufactured M1917 light tanks, modeled on the French Renault tanks. The brigade's headquarters building was located near here.
Unfortunately for Patton's work at Camp Meade, a budget-minded Congress passed the National Defense Act of 1920. This act terminated the independent status of the Tank Corps and returned the remaining units to the operational control of
At this juncture, Patton believe that it was no longer possible for a career-minded Cavalry officer to remain with the tank brigades. In September 1920, Major Patton abandoned the tanks to command a squadron of the 3rd Cavalry at Fort Myer, VA.
This plaque erected in 1996 by the Fort Meade Museum.
Erected 1996 by Fort Meade Museum.
Location. 39° 5.629′ N, 76° 43.245′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Chamberlin Avenue 0 miles from Huber Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tank School and Tank Corps (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eisenhower's Quarters (approx. ¼ mile away); School for Bakers and Cooks (approx. ¼ mile away); 85th Medical Battalion Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Franklin Cantonment (approx. 0.4 miles away); Epiphany Episcopal Chapel and Church House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Post Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hodges Hall (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Meade.
Regarding Patton's Headquarters. The participation of George Patton in the battle of Cambrai, as noted in the marker's text, is a subject for debate. While we cannot change the marker's text, we do encourage readers to research the topic further.
Also see . . . Patton Museum of Cavalry & Armor::. The Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor was established in 1949 to preserve historical artifacts and archival materials relating to Mechanized Cavalry and Armor and General George S. Patton Jr.. Many fine links..! (Submitted on June 6, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • War, World I • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Patton's Headquarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.