Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort George G. Meade
— United States Army —
In June 1930, building 4411 (behind this marker) was completed, and all medical operations moved here. This was a modern hospital with four wards and enough private rooms for 100 patients. It housed an operating room, X-ray room, pathology laboratory, dental office and general laboratory. The semi-circular drive led to the ambulance entrance in the basement, which was connected to the upper floors via an electric elevator. A separate wing of the building held dormitories for the enlisted men of the Department as well as their recreation room, mess hall and kitchen.
The hospital was located in the central portion of the post. This was a departure from past practices where hospitals were located on the outskirts in order to prevent the spread of infectious
Immediately west of the hospital is building 4415, Kuhn Hall, which was constructed in 1931 as a nurses' quarters. Also constructed in 1931 was building 4413, a brick garage for storing and maintaining ambulances.
This plaque erected in 1997 by the Fort George G. Meade Museum.
Erected 1997 by Fort George G. Meade Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Science & Medicine • War, World I.
Location. 39° 5.865′ N, 76° 44.097′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Llewellyn Avenue half a mile west of Ernie Pyle Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hodges Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); 18th Century French Mortar (approx. Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Major General George G. Meade (approx. 0.3 miles away); 29th Infantry Division, United States Army (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of the Bulge (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Meade.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.