Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Home of Andrew J. Cheney (1815-86)
— -- Built about 1856 -- —
Cox’s 3d Div. camped here & supported Hascall’s 2d Div. [US] near the McAdoo house in Battle of Kolb’s Farm.
Sherman inspected rt. of Kennesaw line [US] here, June 23 & 25.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 23, 1930.
Location. 33° 53.095′ N, 84° 37.068′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Powder Springs Road SW and Bankstone Drive SW, on the right when traveling south on Powder Springs Road SW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 16th A.C. to Roswell (a few steps from this marker); Ross' Headquarters Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wm. G. McAdoo's Birthplace (approx. 1.8 miles away); Kolb House (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm - June 22, 1864 (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Regarding Schofield's Headquarters. The Cheney House has been preserved, but is now surrounded by an apartment complex.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,073 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 7. submitted on January 9, 2021, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.