Near Centropolis in Douglas County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
to the SW of this marker.
Two miles south of here the Marion Town
Company laid out the Town of Marion
in honor of Gen. Francis Marion, "The
Swamp Fox" of Revolutionary War fame.
Town well, Blacksmith Shop, two stores
and later a church.
Post Office had intermittent existence:
As Marion — Nov. 1857 to May 1867
June 1870 to Aug. 1881
As Globe — Aug. 1881 to Dec. 1894
Feb. 1895 to Nov. 1900
Erected 1985 by Sante Fe Trail Historical Society of Douglas County, KS.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Santa Fe Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1867.
Location. 38° 47.814′ N, 95° 23.995′ W. Marker is near Centropolis, Kansas, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Road and N 400 Road, on the right when traveling south on Lake Road. This marker is on the SW corner Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrence KS 66047, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santa Fe Trail Crossed Here (approx. 4.6 miles away); Santa Fe Trail (approx. 8½ miles away); Stony Point Church and Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away); Unknown Dead (approx. 13.1 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 13.1 miles away); The Haskell Cemetery (approx. 13.3 miles away); The Original Bandstand (approx. 13.3 miles away); Haskell Bandstand/Gazebo (approx. 13.4 miles away).
Regarding Globe. According to the publication, Following the Santa Fe Trail, by Marc Simmons, published by Ancient City Press, Santa Fe, NM, this DAR marker commemorates two things.
1.) Marion Crossroads was the next stop on the trail west from Baldwin, and
2.) "Sibley Hill" was named for the US Government survey crew that marked the trail in 1822. The original trail went directly over the hill where the later versions of the trail followed the south flank.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,267 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.