Wiggins in Stone County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Stapp Sisters
Emilie and Marie Stapp were natives of Iowa, where Emilie (1876-1962) began writing children's books and Marie (1880-1960) worked for a newspaper. After living in Boston, they moved to Wiggins due to family ties to the Finkbine Lumber Company. In Wiggins, they established Friendship Farm, and built the Dolls' House to hold their collection of 400 dolls. In 1966 the dolls and Emilie's manuscripts were placed in the de Grummond Collection of the McCain Archives at USM
Erected 2018 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Women. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 30° 50.353′ N, 89° 6.76′ W. Marker is in Wiggins, Mississippi, in Stone County. Marker is at the intersection of Friendship Lane and King Bee Road, on the right on Friendship Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wiggins MS 39577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Professor W.P. Locker (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stone County Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Stone County War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gulf & Ship Island Railroad (approx. 2 miles away); City of Wiggins (approx. 2 miles away); Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Depot (approx. 2.2 miles away); Flint Creek Post Office (approx. 2.2 miles away); Stone County (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wiggins.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.