Near Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 32° 57.896′ N, 82° 47.393′ W. Marker is near Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is on Bartow Road (State Road 242) west of Ridge Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 GA-242, Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.6 miles away); Saunder’s Store (approx. 1.8 miles away); Washington County Court House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (approx. 1.8 miles away); Washington County World War I Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); Washington County World War II Monuments (approx. 1.8 miles away); Washington County Viet Nam War Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandersville.
Regarding Forest Grove.
Located just outside the current city limits of Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia, Forest Grove is an intact historic plantation that includes an antebellum main house and smokehouse, numerous late 19th- and early 20th-century outbuildings, a family cemetery, and agricultural fields. Forest Grove has remained in the same family and continuously farmed since its purchase in 1840 by Thomas Jefferson Warthen.
… Warthen served as a colonel in the 28th Regiment of the Confederacy and died from wounds suffered in the battle of Malvern Hill outside of Richmond, Virginia. The 1862 inventory of Warthen’s estate indicates that he owned two large, prosperous plantations, one of which is Forest Grove with 53 slaves, 1,865 acres, and a value of $49,689. In 1860, only approximately 1.4 percent of Georgia’s 62,003 farms were over 1,000 acres, making Forest Grove among the largest farms in Georgia before the Civil War. The c.1840 main house and c.1840 smokehouse survived the war, while the rest of the outbuildings were destroyed.
Also see . . . Forest Grove (PDF). National Register nomination submitted for the former plantation, which includes the main house, numerous outbuildings, historic landscaping and a family cemetery. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.