Portal in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. James A. Stewart House
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 32° 32.369′ N, 81° 55.868′ W. Marker is in Portal, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on North Grady Street, 0.1 miles north of Parrish Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 N Grady St, Portal GA 30450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Portal (approx. ¼ mile away); Willow Hill Elementary School for Negroes (approx. 2.6 miles away); Willow Hill School and Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Banks Dairy Farm (approx. 6.2 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill PondRigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 9½ miles away); Skirmish at Statesboro (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portal.
Regarding Dr. James A. Stewart House. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
… From his arrival in the town at the onset of the 20th century, he was involved in every aspect of the town's growth and development from the city council to fraternal organizations. As the first doctor and one of the earliest settlers of Portal, Dr. Stewart played a significant role in the town's civic and economic development. Stewart was responsible for the relocation of his parents, brothers, and other family members from Crawfordville to Portal. His uncle, C. W. Caldwell built the two additional stores in this block in 1909. Stewart himself introduced a first to Portal in 1909-10 when he started his drug store operation. The marble soda fountain which he installed is still intact and featured eight pumps with carbonation produced by a bicycle pump. This fountain became a popular gathering spot in the community for both ice cream and gossip.
When Portal was incorporated in 1914, Dr. Stewart served on the first town council. He was an early member (1911) of the Portal Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and church officer. He was a stockholder in the locally owned Portal Telephone Company, chartered in 1915. The doctor was a mason at the lodge in neighboring Aaron and also belonged to Portal's chapter of the Knights of Pythias. He was active in the trade and training of trotting horses between 1917 and 1925. When Portal's railroad was threatened by receivership proceedings in 1924, Stewart joined with other townspeople in a successful effort to raise funds necessary to continue railway service to the community.
Also see . . . Dr. James A. Stewart House (PDF). National Register nomination submitted for the site, which includes a privy, barn, stables and garage. It was listed in 1993. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.