Byron in Peach County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jailhouse Park / City of Byron
1999 / Incorporated 1874
Jailhouse Park is so named because of its proximity to the town jail built c. 1875. The building was constructed on a 40 square foot plot of land owned by Dr. C.H. Richardson and purchased by the commissioners of the city of Byron for the sum of $20.00.
Development of the park was the project of the Byron Area Historical Society, assisted by a grant from the state of Georgia.
City of Byron
In the 1850's, Byron was a flag stop on the Southwestern Railroad, identified as “number one and one-half station”. Mr. Nimrod Jackson maintained a wood rack for the wood-burning engines, so the flag stop later become known as Jackson Station. It is said that the town is situated on the highest point between Macon and Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Settlers were attracted to the lövely area with its wonderful climate, plentiful supply of “soft” water, rich agricultural acres, and its easy access to the railroad. Victorian cottages and two-story houses sprang up along the railroad track, and small businesses, stores, churches, and schools soon appeared.
Dr. Charles H. Richardson, å young doctor
We honor these early settlers and later visionaries who have made our city a place we are happy to call home. We are humbly proud to be “heirs of the past and hosts to the future” in this special place.
Erected 2002 by Byron Area Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 32° 39.17′ N, 83° 45.56′ W. Marker is in Byron, Georgia, in Peach County. Marker is on Jailhouse Alley south of Main Street (Georgia Road 42), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Jailhouse Alley, Byron GA 31008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this Byron Jail (a few steps from this marker); “The Drugstore” (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Byron Depot (about 400 feet away); H.J. Peavy & Son (about 400 feet away); Peavy-Robertson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evans-Peavy-Hisel Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Second Atlanta International Pop Festival (approx. 3.1 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Byron.
Also see . . . City History. The hamlet once simply known as "Number One and a Half Station" became one of the largest peach-growing and shipping areas in the South. (City of Byron) (Submitted on May 16, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.