Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Springfield Baptist Church
This is the oldest black Baptist congregation in downtown Greenville. It was founded in 1867 by members of Greenville Baptist Church (now First Baptist Church), which had been a combined congregation of whites and blacks before the Civil War. Rev. Gabriel Poole, known as “Father Poole,” was its first pastor. The new church worshipped in First Baptist Church until it built its own church here in 1872.
Erected 2013 by Sponsored by the Congregation. (Marker Number 23-58.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans Churches & Religion • Civil Rights. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 34° 50.839′ N, 82° 23.516′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is at the intersection of East McBee Avenue and McDaniel Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East McBee Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 East McBee Avenue, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brockman Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); African Elephant (approx. ¼ mile away); In 1825 (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Capers Bouton Memoral Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away); Here Lieth the Body of Sarah M. Crittenden (approx. ¼ mile away); Cleveland Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . . Springfield Baptist Church. (Submitted on May 24, 2022.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2022, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2022, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.