Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Edward in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Island

 
 
The Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
1. The Island Marker
Inscription.  
Barracks     Hospital

Brick – kiln

1755

 
Erected by State of New York.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, French and Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1755.
 
Location. 43° 15.831′ N, 73° 35.07′ W. Marker is in Fort Edward, New York, in Washington County. Marker is on Old Fort Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located on the banks of the river. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Edward NY 12828, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Fort Edward (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Moat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rogers Island -- Fort Edward, NY (about 500 feet away); Fort Edward (about 500 feet away); Northeast Bastion (about 500 feet away); Rogers Island (about 600 feet away); Progenitors of Independence (about 600 feet away); Major Robert Rogers (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Edward.
 
Also see . . .  The History of Fort Edward
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. The Town of Fort Edward website entry (Submitted on June 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker in Fort Edward image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
2. Marker in Fort Edward
The Island image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
3. The Island
The island where Fort Edward's barracks, hospital and brick kiln were located in 1755 is seen here across the river. This photo was taken from in front of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=19856

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024