Greenville in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
The largest pioneer fort
in Ohio, built in 1793, by
General Anthony Wayne.
Here, August 5, 1795, the
Treaty was signed by which
much of present Ohio was
opened to White settlement.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C15.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1793.
Location. 40° 6.164′ N, 84° 38.032′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway Street (Ohio Route 49) and West Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South Broadway Street. This historical marker is located in the heart of present day, downtown, Greenville, Ohio. Like many of Ohio's rural county Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville OH 45331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Treaty of Greeneville (within shouting distance of this marker); Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 (within shouting distance of this marker); Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Water Street Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Annie Oakley 1926 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anthony Wayne Flag Pole (approx. ¼ mile away); Treaty of Greene Ville Peace s (approx. ¼ mile away); Annie Oakley, 1860 - 1926 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial
Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Of the 20 some original markers that have been included in the historical marker database only a small number of them have the original art work, sometimes referred to as silhouettes, across the top of the historical marker. This is a feature that makes these markers quite unique from most other historical markers. This "Fort Greene-Ville" marker is one of those very few markers.
Regarding Fort Greene-Ville. In his book, "The Forts of Ohio" (published 2005), author Gary S. Williams states the following about Fort Greene Ville:
"Fort Greene Ville was really not a fort as much as it was a military city. In fact, it was more often referred to as Camp Greene Ville or just Greene Ville. But regardless of name, this post was large enough to host over 2,000 American troops and more than 1,100 Indian guests, which made it the largest city for miles around."
"Anthony Wayne had Fort Greene Ville built in 1793 as a winter quarters
"The Americans passed through Fort Jefferson on October 14, and advanced six miles farther north, where they found an excellent camp site. The spot featured a high level ground near a creek confluence on one side and overlooking a broad prairie on the other. St. Clair had camped on the spot after leaving Fort Jefferson, and would no doubt have used that spot for a fort had he seen it first."
"Though Wayne wanted to attack, he did not want to rush into battle this late in the year, like St. Clair did. After a convoy train was attacked on October 17, Wayne decided to fortify his spot and use it as a springboard the next year."
"Having to house the entire army required a stockade that was about 900 by 1,800 feet and covered over 50 acres of ground. Wayne ordered eight temporary buildings constructed to house troops during the building process. These buildings later were used as council houses during negotiations for the Greene Ville Treaty. The northern and western walls of the fort were irregularly shaped due to the proximity to creek and the contours of the plateau the fort was built on."
"The interior of the fort was designed as a military city
"When spring finally arrived in 1794, Wayne wanted to take the offensive but felt he needed to strengthen his supply system and wait for reinforcements. On July 26, General Charles Scott arrived with 1,500 mounted Kentucky militia. Two days later, Wayne's army marched out of Greene Ville to inaugurate the campaign that culminated in the defeat of the Indians at Fallen Timbers. On November 2, the army returned in triumph to their winter quarters. They were greeted by a 24 gun salute from Greene Ville cannon...."
"Today, this spot is covered by much of downtown Greenville. While markers such as the one in front of city hall are at certain locations, the exact site of the fort was unknown for a long time. However, in 2002 an archaeological expedition uncovered the site of one of the eight blockhouses that were later used as council houses. this discovery will make it easier to find the exact location of other parts of Ohio's largest fort."
Also see . . .
1. Fort Greene Ville. This link (Submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Treaty of Greeneville (1795). This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
4. A picture of the marker when it was mounted at the front entrance to City Hall. This March 25, 1938 photograph was taken for the Ohio Federal Writers' Project. (Submitted on February 2, 2011.)
5. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
6. Site of Fort Green-Ville, O.R.M.C. Marker, C-15. This is a link to information provided by the "Ohio Memory" records. (Submitted on March 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,811 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on March 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on December 8, 2018, by J. Wesley Baker of Springfield, Ohio. 6. submitted on June 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.