Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gen. Oglethorpe's Landing
On February 12, 1733 Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe Landed On This Spot
Erected by City of Savannah.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1902.
Location. 32° 4.918′ N, 81° 5.496′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from W River Street, on the left when traveling east. Between Barnard St. Ramp and Drayton St. Ramp, Riverside. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "A World Apart" (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah and the Slave Trade (within shouting distance of this marker); African American Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Propeller Club of the Port of Savannah (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); Oglethorpe Bench (within shouting distance Landing of Oglethorpe and the Colonists (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This is Yamacraw Bluff (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Gen. Oglethorpe's Landing. Yamacraw Bluff where the Colony of Georgia was founded February 12, 1733 by Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe. Voted by the Georgia Daughters of the American Revolution the Most Historic Spot In Georgia
Also see . . . James Oglethorpe. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,469 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.