Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Telegraph Line

 
 
Old Telegraph Line Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
1. Old Telegraph Line Marker
Inscription.  One of the first telegraph lines in the world, a part of the Washington–New Orleans Telegraph Company, was built from Washington to Petersburg in 1847. From this the road took its name.
 
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number E-62.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 38° 42.545′ N, 77° 11.591′ W. Marker is in Lorton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Highway (U.S. 1) and Telegraph Road and Old Colchester Road (County Route 611), on the left when traveling south on Richmond Highway. County Route 611 changes name at this intersection from Telegraph Road to Old Colchester Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9301 Richmond Highway, Lorton VA 22079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pohick Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Pohick Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); The West Family of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. John Augustine Washington (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorton.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally erected approx. 0.2 miles south of this spot at the original intersection with Telegraph Road. Telegraph Road was realigned to intersect with Old Colchester Road in the late 1990s.
 
Also see . . .  The Washington-New Orleans Telegraph Co. Civil War Years. Scroll down to the "Early Telegraph" section of this page from the Crown Jewels of the Wire magazine for insulator collectors. (Submitted on March 25, 2006.) 
 
Pohick Church and Old Telegraph Line Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
2. Pohick Church and Old Telegraph Line Markers
Old Telegraph Line and Pohick Church Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
3. Old Telegraph Line and Pohick Church Markers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,414 times since then and 158 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=199

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024