Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Residence of Alice McLellan Birney
(1872 - 1884)
The home was probably built by Miss Mary Ann Nesbit prior to 1869, in which year it was purchased by William R. Gignilliatt.
In 1887 it was bought by St. James Episcopal Church for use as a Rectory.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-35A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 33° 57.64′ N, 84° 33.261′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Kennesaw Avenue NW 0 miles north of Stewart Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 354 Kennesaw Avenue NW, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Archibald Howell Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Root House Clarke Library Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Zion Heritage Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Oakton" (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kennesaw House (approx. 0.6 miles away); UDC and Kennesaw House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Regarding Residence of Alice McLellan Birney. The house was originally located at the corner of Church Street and Kennesaw Avenue in Marietta, and this is where the marker was installed in 1953. In the 1980s (date uncertain) the church required the land for expansion and a parking lot. The house was sold and moved approximately one-half mile north on Kennesaw Avenue, and rebuilt. The marker was moved and reinstalled at the new location.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,240 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.