Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

John Crafton House

 
 
John Crafton House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 19, 2022
1. John Crafton House Marker
Inscription.  
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 35° 52.737′ N, 86° 46.17′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on North Chapel Road, 0.2 miles east of Holder Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4378 N Chapel Rd, Franklin TN 37067, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Epworth United Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Trinity Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rock Hill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Arrington (approx. 3.1 miles away); Daniel M. Robison (approx. 3.3 miles away); McConnico Meeting House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Seward Hall (approx. 3.4 miles away); Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Regarding John Crafton House. Excerpt from
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the National Register nomination for the site, also known as Ralroth Farm:
The John Crafton House is a good example of an early brick hall-parlor plan residence in the county. It was built by John Crafton, a Revolutionary War veteran who moved to Williamson County from Virginia in the early 1800s. In 1808, Crafton purchased 540 acres and built the original brick hall-parlor section ca. 1813. Crafton resided here until his death in 1816 with the house then occupied by his widow and grandson until 1835. The property was then purchased by Dennis M. Crafton who appears to have enlarged the house by adding the one-story brick east wing.

By 1860, Dennis Crafton was listed as owning $18,000 worth of real estate and $28,000 worth of personal property. The house and 167 acres were sold in 1865 to his son, Dennis S. Crafton. On the 1878 map Crafton is listed at this house and owning 172 acres of adjacent land. Crafton occupied the house until 1909 when it was sold to Robert Tulloss. Since 1909, the house has not been significantly altered. A one-story porch was added on the east wing and a frame addition was added to the east wing's north facade in the 1970s. No alterations have occurred to the original west wing of the house.

 
Also see . . .  John Crafton House (PDF). National Register nomination
John Crafton House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 19, 2022
2. John Crafton House Marker
The original c. 1813 section is on the left. The east wing (right) was added around 1830.
for the house, which was listed in 1988. (National Archives) (Submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200304

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024