Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Hamilton Place

 
 
Hamilton Place Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 19, 2022
1. Hamilton Place Marker (side A)
Inscription.  In 1791, Elijah Hamilton purchased 320 acres on the West Harpeth River. Around that time, he moved his family to this site, known as Hamilton Place (Williamson County Tax Book I shows he was here in 1800). The house, designed with a rigid symmetry and hall-and-parlor plan, reflects a blend of Georgian and Federal architecture. When Elijah died in 1825, Elizabeth Hamilton Garrett and her husband, Caleb, inherited the house and 82 acres. In 1828, Elizabeth and her twins died during childbirth and are buried together near the house. After Caleb died in 1838, his heirs sold to Thomas Moore. In 1845, Moore traded Hamilton Place (valued at $2,500) to his father-in-law, Nicholas Tate Perkins (builder of Two Rivers), for the farm now known as the Livingfield More farm (valued at $6,600) — the difference in value to be paid in cotton at 12˝ cents/lb.

While owned by Perkins, Hamilton Place became known as Cottonwood. In 1845, Alexander Brown purchased the place for $1,105 and it remained in the Brown family for 100 years. Alexander's brother, Thomas, built the nearby 1846 Greek Revival house at historic Old Town. Since 1945, the house and 5
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
acres has had 5 owners, including author Robert Hicks, The Widow of the South (re: Carnton Plantation). In 1987, Bill & Becky Barkley purchased the property and began to restore the original structure and early decorative interiors. During his work on the restoration, Dr. Jack May uncovered layers of time and documented original period colors and designs, published nationally in magazines and historic decorative interior books. Hamilton Place was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
 
Erected 2018 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
 
Location. 35° 56.117′ N, 86° 55.158′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Old Charlotte Pike East, 0.3 miles south of Hamilton Branch Lane, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 845 Old Charlotte Pike E, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boyd Mill Pike / Franklin-South Harpeth Turnpike (approx. half a mile away); Westhaven Community / William White Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Glass Mounds Archaeological Site
Hamilton Place Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 19, 2022
2. Hamilton Place Marker (side B)
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Abram Maury (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rev. Mark Lyell Locke Andrews (approx. 1.6 miles away); Major Anthony Sharpe (1746-1812)/ George Hulme (1761-1835) (approx. 1.8 miles away); Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo (approx. 2 miles away); DeGraffenreid Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .
1. Hamilton-Brown House (PDF). National Register nomination for the site, which was listed in 2006. (National Archives) (Submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 

2. Find a Grave Memorial of Elijah Hamilton (Memorial ID: 230825348). (Submitted on August 27, 2022, by Larry Head of Pomona, California.)
 
Hamilton Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 19, 2022
3. Hamilton Place Marker
Hamilton Place image. Click for full size.
Skye Marthaler via Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0), September 30, 2014
4. Hamilton Place
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200322

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024