Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Andrew C. Vaughn House
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 35° 55.146′ N, 86° 51.608′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Murfreesboro Road (State Highway 96) 0.1 miles east of Eddy Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Murfreesboro Rd, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ewingville / Alexander Ewing (approx. ¼ mile away); General Granger and Emancipation (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Granger (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. ¼ mile away); Railroad Section Foreman's House / Pioneers' Corner (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Railroad Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rainey House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Regarding Andrew C. Vaughn House. Excerpt from the National Register nomination
The house was constructed by Andrew C. Vaughn ca. 1873 after his acquisition of six acres on the Murfreesboro Pike east of Franklin. Vaughn was born in 1837 and at the age of eighteen moved to Franklin where he ran a harness maker's shop. He married LutiLtia McAlpin in 1860 and joined the Confederate army in 1862. Vaughn was captured in 1863 but was paroled and he returned home to resume his harness business. Vaughn later opened a livery business and manufactured brick.
In 1873, he acquired six acres of land east of Franklin and constructed this two-story brick Italianate design residence. The house was built with rounded arch doors and windows, paired eave brackets and an ornate two-story porch. In 1887, Vaughn sold the house to John McFerrin after constructing an even larger and more ornate residence in Franklin. The McFerrin family owned the house for a number of years before its sale to Thomas McCall. The house continues to be occupied by McCall descendants
Also see . . . Andrew C. Vaughn House (PDF). National Register nomination for Historic Resources of Williamson County, which includes the Vaughn House. (National Archives) (Submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.