Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Graham in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859)

(Site 1.5 Miles South)

 
 
Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
1. Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker
Inscription.  Operated for Indian children living on Brazos Reservation, a 37,000-acre refuge created by state in 1854. Here over 1,000 Anadarko, Caddo, Delaware, Ioni, Shawnee, Tawakoni, and Tonkawa people lived, farming and acting as U.S. Army scouts.

Despite racial strife outside reserve, teacher Z.E. Coombes (1833-95) reported unusual good will and harmony in classroom. Subjects taught were English, spelling, writing, and arithmetic. From 34 to 60 students were enrolled. School closed when Indians were moved north in 1859.

2nd Plaque
This site was within
the Brazos River Indian
Reservation, the school
was 3 mi. East.
(marker relocated 1990)

 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 493.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 33° 5.77′ N, 98° 35.403′ W. Marker is in Graham, Texas, in Young County. Marker is on Elm Street (State Highway 16) 0.2 miles north
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Brazos Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located in the southeast section of the Shawnee Springs Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Graham TX 76450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shawnee Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Brazos Indian Reservation School (approx. ¼ mile away); Brazos River Indian Reservation (approx. ¼ mile away); Morrison Funeral Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Early Church of Graham (approx. 0.6 miles away); First National Bank in Graham (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ryus Store Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Graham Post Office (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
 
More about this marker. There is a duplicate of this marker on the other side of the Shawnee Springs Park by the library.
 
Also see . . .  Brazos Indian Reservation. In the summer of 1854 Gen. Randolph B. Marcy, under orders of the United States Department of War and Interior and in accordance with an act of the Texas legislature of February 6, located two Indian reservations in West Texas. The Brazos Reservation originally comprised four leagues, or 18,576 acres, twelve miles south of Fort Belknap, where the Brazos River makes three big bends. The size was doubled when an adjacent tract of equal size, intended
Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
2. Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker
for the western Indians, was added to it. The main building was three miles east of the site of Graham, where a few scattered stones mark the remains of the agency. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
3. The view of the Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,111 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200387

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024