Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Graham in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Shawnee Springs

 
 
Shawnee Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
1. Shawnee Springs Marker
Inscription.  Campsite of Indians and early settlers. Also water supply of town of Graham when founded 1872. From here water was hauled in barrels to homes in the area and women used these springs to wash clothes with sand as soap and trees and bushes as clotheslines.
 
Erected 1969 by Silas Morton Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 33° 5.804′ N, 98° 35.398′ W. Marker is in Graham, Texas, in Young County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street (State Highway 16) and Brazos Street, on the right when traveling south on Elm Street. The marker is located in the eastern section of Shawnee Springs Park along the highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Graham TX 76450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) (within shouting distance of this marker); Brazos Indian Reservation School
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazos River Indian Reservation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morrison Funeral Home (approx. half a mile away); Early Church of Graham (approx. 0.6 miles away); First National Bank in Graham (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ryus Store Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Graham Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
 
Also see . . .  Graham, Texas.
The site was first settled in 1871 by brothers Gustavus A. and Edwin S. Graham, primary shareholders in the Texas Emigration and Land Company of Louisville, Kentucky. The brothers moved to Texas after the Civil War, and after buying 125,000 acres (510 km2) in then-vast Young County, helped to revitalize the area, the population of which had become badly depleted during the war. During that same year as when Graham was settled, the Warren Wagon Train Raid occurred about 12 miles north of the city. In 1872, the Graham brothers purchased a local saltworks, established the town of Graham, and set up the Graham Land Office. The saltworks were not a profitable venture,
Shawnee Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
2. Shawnee Springs Marker
as the salt was too expensive to ship, and were closed in a few years. Source: Wikipedia
(Submitted on June 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of Shawnee Springs Marker from the highway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 6, 2022
3. The view of Shawnee Springs Marker from the highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.   3. submitted on June 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200388

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024