Graham in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brazos River Indian Reservation
Under the guidance of United States agents, the Indians of the Brazos River Reservation made much progress in agriculture, stock raising and other arts of civilization. Drouth and other adversities, however, led to closing of the reservations.
Emptied in 1859 when the Indians were removed to vicinity of present Anadarko, Oklahoma, lands of the reservation reverted to the state, and were opened to the pre-emption of Texas citizens in 1873.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 494.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1854.
Location. 33° 5.962′ N, 98° 35.367′ W. Marker is in Graham, Texas, in Young County. It is at the intersection of Elm Street (State Highway 16) and South Street, on the left when traveling south on Elm Street. The marker is located in the northwest corner of the Graham Library grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Graham TX 76450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Big Country. It is also on the American Great Plains. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Comancherνa, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Brazos Indian Reservation School (a few steps from this marker); Shawnee Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazos Indian Reservation School (1858-1859) (approx. Ό mile away); Morrison Funeral Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank in Graham (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Church of Graham (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1921 Young County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ryus Store Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Also see . . . Brazos Indian Reservation.
In the summer of 1854 Gen. Randolph B. Marcy, under orders of the United States Department of War and Interior and in accordance with an act of the Texas legislature of February 6, located two Indian reservations in West Texas. The Brazos Reservation originally comprised four leagues, or 18,576 acres, twelve miles south of Fort Belknap, where the Brazos River makes three big bends. The size was doubled when an adjacent tract of equal size, intended for the western Indians, was added to it. The main building was three miles east of the site of Graham, where a few scattered stones mark the remains of the agency. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,835 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


