Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arkadelphia in Clark County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Blakely Graveyard

 
 
The Blakely Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2022
1. The Blakely Graveyard Marker
Inscription.  
East & South of this point was
The Blakely Graveyard
in this first public burying place of the community, the early settlers were interred.

It remained in use until 1869 when it was closed to future burials by the city council.

In tribute to the pioneers, this marker was placed by the Arkadelphia Chamber of Commerce in 1967
 
Erected 1967 by the Arkadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 34° 7.101′ N, 93° 3.016′ W. Marker is in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, in Clark County. Marker is on South 3rd Street south of Clay Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 S 3rd St, Arkadelphia AR 71923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salt Kettle (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark County First Manufactory in Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark County Confederate Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in a direct line); Flanagin Law Office (about 300 feet away); Degray Dam Boulder (about 300 feet away); Clark County (about 300 feet away); Freedmen's Bureau (about 500 feet away); Arkadelphia Courthouses (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arkadelphia.
 
Regarding The Blakely Graveyard. Established in 1819, when John L Hemphill, owner of Hemphill Salt Works died. John's mother-in-law, Mary Lawson, created the first methodist church on this site, and the cemetery upon his death. The cemetery was closed in 1869 and some of the graves were moved to Rose Hill Cemetery, about 3,700 feet west on Main Street.
 
The Blakely Graveyard Marker look north on 3rd Street. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2022
2. The Blakely Graveyard Marker look north on 3rd Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200782

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024