Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church

 
 
Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 30, 2019
1. Church Marker
Inscription.  White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 acres of property and deeded one acre of land with the cabin to the church trustees in 1727, with an additional half-acre donated in 1735. Revivalist George Whitfield preached here in 1739 to a crowd of 8000 people. During the Great Schism, a group of New-Siders separated. In 1752, the faction built a new church at the corner of Kirkwood Highway. The Congregation reunited in 1758.
 
Erected 2017 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-232.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1718.
 
Location. 39° 42.75′ N, 75° 42.498′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Old Coach Road and Dewalt Road, on the left when traveling east on Old Coach Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1418 Old Coach Road, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Judge Morris Estate (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Judge Morris Estate (approx. 0.7 miles away); Meeteer House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Post Mark'd West (approx. 1˝ miles away); Site of Post Mark'd West (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Pioneer of Preservation (approx. 1.6 miles away); Robert Kirkwood, Jr. (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 30, 2019
2. Church Marker
Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Skillman
3. Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on June 27, 2022, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on May 8, 2022, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200791

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024