Camden in Ouachita County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
— 1863 1864 —
Located along a ridge some one hundred yards south of the intersection of the junction of the Maul and Gravel Pit Roads, this v-shaped redan pointed to the northwest, and its four to six artillery pieces protected any approach into Camden from Tate’s Bluff or from the Upper Washington Road.
While no traces of this fortification are visible today, its slightly elevated location in the middle of Greenwood Cemetery is evident when viewed from Maul Road.
There is some evidence to suggest that this site was named Fort Pickett.
Union soldiers improved this fortification during their brief occupation of Camden in April 1864.
Erected 2005 by Camden Historical Advisory Commission sponsored by Camden A&P Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
Location. 33° 35.665′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden AR 71701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Lookout (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Simmons (approx. 0.4 miles away); To Our Confederate Women (approx. ¾ mile away); Ecore A-Fabre or Fabre’s Bluff (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ouachita County Desert Storm Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camden Water Battle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Southerland (approx. one mile away); Fort Diamond (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.