Camden in Ouachita County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
— 1863 1864 —
Located atop a steep hill well over a mile southeast of Redoubt D, it protected any approach into Camden from the Bradley Ferry Road across the Ouachita River to the southeast, from Champagnolle Landing and Woodlawn across Two Bayou to the south. This fort also protected Camden from the federal gunboats coming up the river from the south.
Its diamond shape, from which it derived its name, held only three artillery pieces and was fronted by deep entrenchments. Most of this fort is plainly visible and is in remarkable condition despite its age.
Union soldiers improved this fortification during their brief occupation of Camden in April 1864.
Erected 2005 by Camden Historical Advisory Commission sponsored by Camden A&P Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
Location. 33° 34.458′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden AR 71701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ouachita County Desert Storm Memorial (approx. one mile away); Ecore A-Fabre or Fabre’s Bluff (approx. 1.1 miles away); To Our Confederate Women (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Southerland (approx. 1.1 miles away); Camden Water Battle (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Simmons (approx. 1.6 miles away); Redoubt B (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Lookout (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.