Sterling in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Vestal's Gap Road in the 1800s
In August 1825 President Adams and Marquis de Lafayette visited former President Monroe at Oak Hill. They participated in ceremonies at Leesburg, then in further festive activities at Belmont and Coton, the Lee Estates. They spent their last night in Loudoun at Belmont, and the next day they were advised to take Vestal's Gap Road instead of the recently constructed turnpike on their trip back to Washington. The ancient Gap road had been so badly neglected, since the opening of the turnpike, that the sector near Sugarland Run was so impassable in light vehicles, that the party returned to Belmont and entered the turnpike before resuming their journey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812.
Location. 39° 1.054′ N, 77° 24.178′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Old Vestals Gap Road, on the right when traveling west. Located on a foot path along the Vestal's Gap road trace, near the Lanesville Historic Site in Claude Moore Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sterling VA 20164, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lanesville Outbuildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lanesville Families (about 300 feet away); Lanesville House and Vestal's Gap Road (about 300 feet away); Lanesville Historic Area (about 300 feet away); Lanesville Architecture (about 300 feet away); Vestal's Gap Road (about 300 feet away); The Braddock Campaign (about 400 feet away); Guilford Signal Station (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a facsimile of the US Declaration of Independence. On the right are portraits of President John Adams and Marquis de Lafayette.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,075 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.