Ironwood in Gogebic County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Commemorating the Iron Ore Industry
Iron ore was first discovered here by James A. Wood in 1882 and the Norrie "A" mine shaft was sunk in 1885. The lease was held by A.L. Norrie.
This mine became one of the greater bodies of iron ore ever found in Michigan.
Erected 1979 by Ironwood Woman's Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 46° 26.991′ N, 90° 9.757′ W. Marker is in Ironwood, Michigan, in Gogebic County. Marker is at the intersection of Beech Street and East Houk Street, on the right when traveling south on Beech Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ironwood MI 49938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miners Memorial Heritage Park (a few steps from this marker); Hiawatha (within shouting distance of this marker); Curry House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Italians on the Gogebic Iron Range (approx. half a mile away); Ironwood City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Penokee Iron Range Trail Historic Iron County Courthouse (approx. one mile away in Wisconsin); This 5 ½ Foot Diameter Drill Core (approx. one mile away in Wisconsin); Norrie Park (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.