Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

"The Old Fort"

 
 
"The Old Fort" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
1. "The Old Fort" Marker
Inscription.  This important Indian Wars Fort was active from 1867 to 1886. It was strategically placed at Comanche Springs to protect the San Antonio to El Paso mail, freight wagons, cattle drives and immigrants. The United States Army was charged by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo to stop devastating raids into Mexico by Apache, Comanche, and Kiowa tribes, who traveled the infamous Comanche War Trail, which coursed south by this site. At its completion, the Fort comprised over thirty buildings, five of which were enlisted men's barracks and were placed on a north-south line, two of which have been reconstructed on original foundations. Both are open to the public and house the Fort Visitor Center and Museum. Kitchens were built behind the barracks, as well as two stables, which held 100 horses each. The one newly-constructed in 1868 was described by a reporter as, "The finest in the state."

Captions
Upper Center: L Troop Moving - 1884
Lower Left: Enlisted Men's Barracks
Lower Right: Officer's Quarters #5
 
Erected by Fort Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsForts and CastlesNative AmericansWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 30° 53.182′ N, 102° 52.587′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of East 2nd Street and North Rooney Street, on the right when traveling west on East 2nd Street. The marker is located along the street near the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Stockton Guard House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); O. W. Williams (about 300 feet away); St. Stephens, Hovey School, Rollins Sibley House (about 300 feet away); Comanche Springs Pool & Pavilion (about 400 feet away); Site of Comanche Springs (about 500 feet away); Hovey School (about 500 feet away); The Enlisted Soldier (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
More about this marker. There is a duplicate of this marker on the other side of the fort.
 
Also see . . .
1. Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
"The Old Fort" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
2. "The Old Fort" Marker
. Wikipedia (Submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Historic Fort Stockton. Fort Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau (Submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the "The Old Fort" and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
3. The view of the "The Old Fort" and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201520

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024