Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Georgetown Cemetery

 
 
Old Georgetown Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. Old Georgetown Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

This site on the south bank of the South San Gabriel River, a portion of the land donated by George W. Glasscock in 1848 for the county seat of Williamson County, was used as a burial plot from 1840 to 1902. Many pioneer citizens lie buried here – many names unknown and graves unmarked.

Restoration of “The Old Georgetown Cemetery” was begun in 1963 by the Georgetown Historical Survey Committee with the co-operation of interested people who “did not forget.”
 
Erected 1963 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14602.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 30° 38.496′ N, 97° 40.924′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Scenic Drive. Marker is near Blue Hole Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Marshall-Carver High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Macedonia Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in a direct line); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 600 feet away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emzy Taylor (approx. 0.4 miles away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chief Justice John Edward Hickman (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Hidden History. Southwestern University article about slavery in Williamson County and its ties to the cemetery. (Submitted on March 11, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 

2. Old Georgetown Cemetery. Find A Grave entry for Old Georgetown Cemetery (Submitted on March 11, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Old Georgetown Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, March 11, 2015
2. Old Georgetown Cemetery Marker
View of marker, with a few of the cemetery's grave in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,582 times since then and 89 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on March 11, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201778

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024