Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old City Cemetery
Created in 1840 (same year Caldwell was laid out) when lots 3 and 12 were made a "Grave Yard and Church lot" forever.
Town founder Lewis L. Chiles (d.1864) is buried here. Oldest legible stone is for Margarette A. King and infant daughter (d.1843).
Now maintained by city.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7565.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 30° 31.725′ N, 96° 41.57′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Buffalo Street and South Thomas Street, on the left when traveling west on West Buffalo Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Warren Lodge No. 56, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caldwell National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burleson County in World War II City of Caldwell (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burleson County (approx. ¼ mile away); John Mitchell (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 83 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.